Unread 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Agathorn
Trying to understand the basics

Hey all

I'm used to modifying UIs through either standard XML files, or through code like Lua. Flash is an alien world for me i'm afraid.

I'm trying to get a handle on the basic workflow and what I need. Right now what I want to do is modify some of the default action scripts.

If I am understanding things properly, the action script files and the .fla file compile to form the swf file? Is that correct?

What do I need to do to compile the .fla and action scripts? What software do I need? Is there a way to do this without shelling out tons of money to Adobe?
Agathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
DeathTiger

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agathorn View Post
If I am understanding things properly, the action script files and the .fla file compile to form the swf file? Is that correct?

What do I need to do to compile the .fla and action scripts? What software do I need? Is there a way to do this without shelling out tons of money to Adobe?
There may be some other SWF compilers out there, but I haven't been bothered looking as I have a student license.

I use:
  • Adobe Flash Pro CS6 to compile the .fla and .as into .swf.
  • FlashDevelop to program the ActionScript (.as), mainly becauase of the intelli-sense and it's a better IDE in general.

I hope this helps.
DeathTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Agathorn
Thanks. I sort of have it working. Some stuff I change seems to take affect while other stuff doesn't. I'll keep beating on it, but at least I got the right workflow.

For now i'm just using the 30day trial of Adobe Cloud.
Agathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
bkmvl
I find subscribing to the creative cloud to be a nice investment, even if i had purchased most of the applications as standalone ones before, since i am a customer i got a nice discount to

Check out lynda.com for some adobe related videos, http://www.lynda.com/search?q=flash&x=0&y=0 of course you might have to pay to view them at least all of it.
bkmvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackSecretUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Trying to understand the basics